The three scents that remind me that Christmas is fast approaching are cinnamon, orange and ginger. This recipe is a variation of a past post, my Blueberry & Raspberry Yoghurt Muffins recipe. Each muffin has about 235 calories. The average Starbucks muffin has about 450-500 calories!! This recipe makes 12 but you could make less by just halving the ingredients:
- 115g Unsalted utter
- 300g Self-raising flour
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- ½ Bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 125g Caster sugar
- 8½ tbsp of sweetener (granulated kind)
- 250ml Natural yogurt
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Stem ginger balls, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 190˚C/gas 5
Line a 12 hole muffin/cupcake pan with muffin wrappers or squares of baking paper cut to fit.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over the lowest heat then set aside to cool.
Sift the flour, ground ginger, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and sweetener, mix thoroughly.
In a measuring jug add the yogurt and eggs. Whisk together while pouring in the melted butter.
Take the dry mixture and make a well in the centre. Pour half the liquid batter in and mix using a wooden spoon. Add the rest of the liquid batter and mix (do not over mix, lumpy is good!)
Spoon into the paper cases (about 2 big tablespoons in each case). Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Make sure you turn the muffin tray halfway through to bake evenly. Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Optional: When cold drizzle some lemon icing over the top which you can easily make with icing sugar mixed with a little water to a thick but spreadable consistency and add as much lemon zest as you like. Sprinkle more lemon zest over the top of the muffin for added christmas prettiness! Works with orange zest too!!
- Add the zest of one lemon
- Replace the ground ginger and stem ginger with 1 tsp of ground cinnamon and the zest of one large orange
- Replace the ground ginger and stem ginger with 1 tsp of ground cinnamon and 2 cooking apples cubed. Fold the apples when adding the wet mixture to the dry
- Add 300g of fresh cranberries. Fold about 2/3 when adding the wet mixture to the dry then after spooning the mixture in the cases add the rest over the top